Quick Fire (12-mins) Core
A short core class to strengthen the core stabilizes, pelvic floor and glutes.
This class is great for those seeking:
- Core, pelvis, glute strengthening.
- A quick class to start the day.
- A warm-up before another yoga/meditation class.
Props: 1 block, 1 resistance band
Focus: core, pelvis, glute strengthening
Location: Lila Familia Production Studio, Vancouver, BC
Music: Kurmasana Spotify Playlist
Do the full class: Quick Fire Vinyasa
Come to lay on your back and bend your knees.
Place the resistance band around your feet at the tops of the feet and the soles.
Press your feet on the ground and take five deep belly breaths.
- Inhale and puff the belly up.
- Exhale and hug the belly in, drawing the navel to the spine.
Mula Bandha is the pelvic floor in physiological terms.
Mula = root
Bandha = seal / lock
When we inhale and exhale by drawing the navel in like this, we engage Mula Bandha.
When the lower abdominals engage, it stabilizes the pelvis and engages the core stabilizes that attach to the low spine. The more we engage the muscles around the lower spine and the pelvis, the better we have to support the low back and decrease the risk of injury.
Mula Bandha, on an energetic level, sustains the energy in the spine and prevents it from leaking out.
Core exercise 1
Setu Bandha Sarvāṅgāsana (bridge pose) variation with the resistance band at your feet
- Lift your hips off the ground and press your feet into the ground.
- Breathe into the front of your pelvis.
Core exercise 2
Take your feet up off the ground, so they are in line with your knees.
Press your feet outwards into the resistance band.
Take your hands behind your head.
- Inhale and lift the knees a little bit higher.
- Exhale and curl your shoulder blades and head up from the ground.
- Inhale and lift the knees and heart a little bit higher.
- Exhale and suck your belly button into your spine.
- Inhale and lift your heart a little bit higher.
- Exhale and lower your head and shoulders to the ground.
- Repeat 5 times.
Core exercise 3
- Inhale and take your head and shoulders up from the ground
- Exhale and twist to one side, bend your knee and take the opposite elbow to knee
- Inhale and lift your knee to elbow and hold
- Exhale and twist to the same side
- Inhale one more time
- Exhale and come to the center with shoulders and hips aligned.
- Take 4 cycles alternating twisting to either side.
Core exercise 4
Slide the resistance band to your thighs above the knees
Come into bridge pose with hands by your sides.
Begin to press the knees outwards against the band, find a pace that serves.
This activates the glute med, the outer buttock muscles.
Strengthening the gluteal muscles also helps to support the low back and the front of the pelvis.
Keep breathing and move your knees outwards in little pulses for 6-seconds.